Plastic recycling plant receives a skip of rotting food by mistake
A suburb of Rochdale has been invaded by a swarm of flies after a plastic recycling plant received a skip of rotting food by mistake.
Homes in the district of Smallbridge have been over-run with hundreds of flies, after a skip of rotting food waste was sent to the plastic recycling company ABC Recycling Ltd, on Dye House Lane.
The infestation even forced a local pub, The Greengate Hotel, on Halifax Road, to stop saving meals, when a swarm of over 200 flies invaded their kitchen. The closure caused the pub to lose £800 in takings.
One resident, Andrea Walton, who lives on Ashbrook Crescent, said that she had ‘hundreds’ of flies in her home.
Andrea said: “It’s bad. There are hundreds of flies in my house, circling around my back door and on the windows. I have to put a piece of paper over my hot and cold drinks as I end up with a few dead in it.”
Staff from the Environment Agency have had to make regular visits to the plastic recycling centre and pesticides have been sprayed at the site to deal with the incident. The Environment Agency will continue to monitor the centre until the problem has been fully resolved.
A spokesperson from the Environment Agency said: “ABC Recycling hold an exemption to store and treat plastic waste.”
The manager of ABC Recycling Ltd, Mr Habib Ihsan, confirmed that the site did mistakenly receive one skip of rotting food waste and that it was put into landfill. He went on to say that the mistake was being dealt with and that they are working closely with the Environment Agency.
To find out more about BigGreen.co.uk ‘s nationwide waste management services, please follow this link.
Tattoo parlour owner fined in court for fly-tipping controlled waste near his home
A Mansfield business owner has appeared in Mansfield Magistrates’ Court after council officers connected him to the illegal dumping of controlled waste.
The fly-tipped rubbish was found by a Mansfield District Council Neighbourhood Warden in August last year in Hermitage Lane, Mansfield. The waste had been dumped behind the premises of GS Prince and was made up of controlled waste materials.
The council warden carried out an investigation following the find and was able to trace the fly-tipped rubbish back to the owner of Black Anchor Tattoo, Premyslaw Mazurek, 40, who lives close to Hermitage Lane.
Mr Mazurek admitted to illegally disposing of the commercial waste and also to operating a business without holding a waste disposal contract.
The business owner was prosecuted by Mansfield District Council under Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and appeared in Mansfield Magistrates’ Court in March, were he pleaded guilty to the offence.
He was ordered by magistrates to pay a fine of £600, costs of £285, community safety costs of £163.43 and a £60 victim surcharge.
Public Protection Councillor Mick Barton took the opportunity to warn business owners that they are required to possess a business waste contract with a licensed company. He added: “Anyone found without a contract in place is likely to face a prosecution.”
To find out more about Biggreen.co.uk ‘s waste management services, please click here.
Waste business owners are worried about the EA’s new fire prevention plan
The owners of waste wood firms across England are being encouraged by the Wood Recyclers’ Association (WRA) to lobby their local MPs, as its claims the Environmental Agency’s new fire prevention regulations are “not fit for purpose”.
The Fire Prevention Plan (FPP) has not yet been officially adopted by the Environmental Agency, but its consultation period has now ended and a final decision is to be made. The Environmental Agency has confirmed that it received 126 responses from businesses, organisations and individuals involved within the waste industry.
The new Fire Prevention Plan (FPP) will effect all businesses dealing with combustible waste, including those dealing with waste wood and waste tyres, to name just a couple.
The Wood Recyclers’ Association (WRA) has said that many individuals within the wood waste industry are worried about the consequences if the new plan comes into effect. Chairman of the WRA, Andy Hill, told letsrecycle.com that these individuals “genuinely fear for their livelihoods going forward”.
Some of the new regulations proposed in the FPP, include woodpile sizes and spaces between woodpiles; limiting burn-time to 3-4 hours; increasing stock-rotation timescales; and limiting storing periods.
Each waste company will also be required to produce a Fire Prevention Plan, which the Environmental Agency must approve.
Mr Hill told letrecycle.com that many of the proposed regulations are not based on any scientific research. He added: “…we would like the fire and rescue service to have more input at a local level. The WRA believes one size cannot fit all circumstances and we are hopeful we will be able to work with the EA on this going forward.”
please follow this link to find out more about Biggreen.co.uk ‘s waste management services.
Representatives of the Glastonbury Festival are being prosecuted by the Environment Agency and have gone before South Somerset and Mendip Magistrates’ Court charged with breaching environmental regulations during the 2014 festival.
The Environment Agency claim that a faulty storage tank, connected to the festival’s sewerage system, had leaked a “large quantity” of human waste into the neighbouring river Whitelake. The leaked human waste triggered one of the agency’s river sensors which alerted them to an increase in ammonia levels.
The Environment Agency brought a prosecution against Glastonbury Festival 2014, as they believe the leak effected the water quality and resulted in the death of 42 fish, including protected brown trout.
Michael Eavis, Glastonbury Festival founder, and Christopher Edwards, the operations director, appeared in South Somerset and Mendip Magistrates’ Court, in Yeovil, and admitted to the charge but Kerry Gwyther, representing, told the court that the festival did not “accept that it was a major incident as described by the agency.”
Kieran Martyn, prosecuting, told the court that the breach could be classed as a “category one”, which, if ruled true, could result in a fine from £300 up to £55,000. Mr Martyn blamed the tank’s failure on poor maintenance but the Glastonbury representatives said that the leakage had been described by the tank’s manufacturer as a “freak accident”.
District judge David Taylor adjourned the trial for a “Newton hearing”; the two parties will now sit with a judge in order to determine the facts of the case.